Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tick

I've realised that I really should be doing some sort of time tracking to figure out how well I'm using my time. I'd like to know how much I'm spending in productive work compared the work time wasted to tinkering about, spending time in meetings and blogging.

After a quick search, I've settled on using Tick. I've been tinkering around with Tick for a couple days now, and I think it fits almost right into what I need.

Pros:
  • Simple, easy to use
  • Integrates with Basecamp
  • Clear, simple reports
  • Supports several users - track time of your whole team
Cons:
  • The non-free features, like Basecamp integration, are a bit pricey. 9$US a month is expensive for just a time-tracker. I'm not sure I'll keep with it after my free preview is finished for this reason.
  • The Basecamp integration does not import milestones and to-do items, which are exactly the items I want to keep track time on.
  • Adding new tasks to a project requires jumping through a few pages. It would be much better to be able to create tasks on the Time Card page.
Overall, it's a good product, and worth keeping tabs on. However, I'm not convinced that it is yet the killer app for time-tracking. The biggest sticking point is the price. I'm not saying it should be free, but the 9$US a month for the basic package is a bit steep. Especially to those of us that can't file it as a business expense and get reimbursed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you've looked at it already but if not, give our product, Harvest, a try. It also integrate with Basecamp, offers a real-time timer, and displays beautiful reporting. You can get started with a 30-day free trial with many account options. Let me know if you have any questions.

smithco said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Danny. In the end I did end up turfing Tick. I just found that the Basecamp integration with Tick was insufficient. I'll give Harvest a try and see if it works better for me.